Tuesday, May 7, 2013


3rd Entry

MONDAY

May 7, 2013

Where's the Flour?!


Four blog entries in two weeks?! What is going on here? I have to say, I am very surprised at myself. Well, this is going to be a quick one because it is 2 am. Friday we had girls group activity and we went to a restaurant. I took my own food with me into the restauraunt. Saturday we worked the Taylor Swift concert at the stadium for our fundraising efforts. I took home-cooked quinoa and veggies with chicken breast. I was happy not to be eating the horrible concession food on my break. It has be really interesting taking my food with me everywhere. Now, I really don't like eating anything I don't make, because I don't know exactly is in it. I am getting more picky about those things I choose to put in my mouth. I feel great. Sunday was a long day. Church, choir practice, shopping at the produce market, and then cooking lunch for Monday


Almond Meal Banana Peanut Butter Crackers
Almond Meal Breakfast Quick Bread
Yesterday (Monday May 7th) I spent most of the day cooking. I experimented with some grain free cooking. It was very interesting. I want to do some grain free cooking because I want to avoid white flour, gluten, and as many carbs as possible. Several members of my family have different medical problems that could be helped by avoiding gluten and possible wheat altogether. I tried these recipes for breakfast banana, peanut butter breakfast bread and crackers. The recipes called for the almond pulp from the almond milk I made last week. It used the almond pulp and flax seed meal as a base. The bread was unbearable, but although I disliked the crackers, they may be nice with certain toppings. I'll have to experiment and I'll let you know if they turn out okay. I don't think I'll make either of these recipes again. I am not completely resolved on going grain free. I may still include whole grains. However, I will use as little grain as possible.

The one recipe I was very satisfied with was the one for grain free banana muffins I made. They were delicious. The didn't taste very different from normal banana muffins. I was pretty impressed with this recipe and I plan to incorporate it into our regular menu.

Almond Meal Banana Nut Muffins
Cook time: 20 Min Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 12
Ingredients
3 c blanched almond flour(i use almond meal from trader joes and they turn out great!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c honey(or maple syrup, agave, or xylitol)1/4 c melted coconut oil(or melted butter)***
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c chopped nuts
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12 muffin tin. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a med. bowl in order listed. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Stir just to combine. Fill muffin cups. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake about 20 min. (tops will be set and spring back when lightly touched)
2. ***the last time I made these, I accidentally omitted the oil and they still turned out great!




















I also made an Indian Dahl recipe with some of the masala I have left from India. It was very nice. I also dallied with roasted lentils (delicious), roasted a chicken (for tomorrow or Wednesday), and made some chicken wings for my family. My refrigerator is still perpetually crowded from all of the veggies and whole foods. Cooking healthy, whole, completely sugar-free, flour-free, non-processed foods takes a little getting used to and a lot of time and planning, but it is definitely worth it. My health is improving daily. That is all for today. Sorry if it was a little sporadic, but my I am not very alert right now. This coming weekend will be interesting. I am going to New York for a soccer tourney for the kids at my church. It will be my first trip since beginning to eat this way. I plan to make some food and freeze it and take my crock pot with me and warm the food that way. I will fill you in on how it goes. Until next time....tootle-loooo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment