Thursday, May 9, 2013




New Day!!!

As I mentioned in my first Health Journal Entry last week, I have started a whole New Day in my diet, fitness, and overall health. I started out with a juice cleanse. I initially intended the cleanse to be 10 days or longer, but I decided to shorten it. I believe it was the best choice for me because it served its purpose. I detoxed and reset my taste buds and body in preparation for a new way of eating.

I have already been sporadically going to the gym with my friend Arielle for a few weeks. I finally started doing my NYC Ballet workout DVD at home yesterday. This is a wonderful workout. It increases strength and flexibility, and I always feel it in my muscles the next day. It makes me feel so strong. I also love doing my Tae Bo DVDs or just taking a walk outside. I don't like running outside yet. I have to build up to it. Right now, I am still working building up my endurance on the treadmill. I also love the fact that it is possible to control the temperature inside. Big plus!

 I have many passions; reading, writing, music (esp. Classical and New Age), flute, piano, science, swimming, history, research and many other things...but I have to say, the most useful of these (at least right now) is cooking. I love cooking, especially for my family and friends. Now that I am figuring out new ways to cook, I can research new ideas, recipes, and nutritional methodologies to make the most nutritious and healthy meals.


I finally got the courage to try sweet potato fries again. I made them a few times around two years ago. Then I had a bad experience, so I have not made them since then. Today, I had three sweet potatoes in my pantry and decided to try them again because I know they can be tasty and delicious. I cut them, tossed them in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and a little turmeric. I set them in the oven at 400 degrees F for around 15-20 minutes. However, they were still soft. I do not believe in soggy French fries. I put them back in under the broiler on high to crisp them, but my timing was off….so I burnt them. (Insert crestfallen face here.) My sister Meredith and I were really hungry, so we ate them anyways...cleaned the pan! I will try them again soon.

Nevertheless, I did have one success today. Avocado is one of my favorite foods. Lucky for me, it’s good for me too. Today I made a delicious Mexican style salad. I used romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, roast chicken, canned olives, and canned black beans. I made a dressing by squeezing lemon over it and drizzling it with olive oil. I added a bit of salt and, "Tah-dah!" one delicious Mexican Chicken Salad!

I almost forgot my biggest piece of news. I finally got the call for my job interview. It will be this coming Monday. I knew I had this interview for weeks, but they have been putting it off. They were waiting for the Director to come in from Texas for the final interviews. Please pray for me, that I stay at rest and all goes well.

Now, off to pack for my trip tomorrow! I am excited. I love road trips. I am looking forward to a fun and exciting weekend of soccer with my Church. I cannot wait to support my BCC Detroit kids!! I will be sure to post pictures next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still waiting for you to post those pictures!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete