Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ALAG BEGINNINGS...

I am going to have to go ahead and skip some things and come back to them because I am losing time and getting more and more behind. It has been nearly 2 weeks since my last post. This time, I really am not procrastinating. I have not had anytime to do any blogging. So today I will cover from Monday to today, my first few days on Ateam (Alag). Then later I will post about the trip with the girls and all I experienced at the Summer conference.

It a was very early in the morning when I awoke in one of our huts to the sounds of all of the girls leaving. It had been a VERY long night (as every night of the conference had been) as the girls cleaned the huts in preparation to leave the following morn. Isaac, Wes and Daniel had helped me lug my 3 suitcases up to House 33 (where I will be living over this next year), but I still had a lot to carry. I really couldn't stand staying in the hut without the girls, it would just be too depressing. So I got all my things together. Salvaged what was left of the food, laundry detergent, toilet paper and other supplies for my room and said a final (and slightly tearful) goodbye to the girls as they loaded the van and raced to catch their train. When the last load of girls had gone, I gave the huts a final look over and piled my things outside.

It took three trips to get all of my things to House 33. I didn't yet have a room, so I was stuck in the room on the lower level with around fifteen girls. It was around 5:30am, so I sat on the steps outside for a bit singing "All by Myself" by Mariah Carey, hoping someone would wake up so I could see my way around. It was pitch black, I couldn't find the light (not to mention, I didn't want to wake anyone), and I couldn't find the dyna for my bed. No one woke up. I knew I was going to have to check in at the kitchen at 10am and I wanted a bit more sleep. So finally I just went in, covered a mattress and curled on my side in the fetal position and tried sleep, but I was too cold to get any real rest.

 I woke up just in time to get myself together and get the kitchen. The lights in the room were still out, and many of the girls were still asleep. At this point, I could see that my dyna had been in a bag beside my bed the whole time. Oh well, it was in the past.

Upon checking-in in the kitchen, I found that I didn't start work until the next day, Tuesday. Some girls told me about a room that was empty. I lugged all of my things up to the room and spent the day doing laundry and trying to settle in. I went to eat and try to meet some people, but I felt really disconnected and out of place. Over all, I was kind of lonely.

Tuesday was SOO much better. I started working and meet a lot of people. It will take a bit for me to remember everyone's names, but the girls I work with in the kitchen are so very nice. They made my first day of work really nice. I wish the training was a bit more straight forward, but overall, I guess I can figure things out for myself.

Leigh from South Africa is particularly sweet. She asked me how my room was and if I needed anything. She came and checked my water, electricity, brought me more bedding, and overall, was really helpful. I don't know what I would have done without her help. Thanks Leigh!

Today (Wednesday) was great as well. I think I am beginning to find a bit of a niche here. I am enjoying myself so much. The only thing that can make it better will be when Meraboo gets here! Jeg gleder meg!!! I have been working in the kitchen in House 33, which is where the Ateam eats. It is pretty cool. Today was my second day. I worked the Kveld shift yesterday and today which is 2pm to 11pm. It is not too bad and there is downtime in between. I am starting to feel much more comfortable. I just finished eating and I have to go back to clean at 7pm. The youth meeting is to follow at 8pm. I can't play my flute today because I am working, but I really look forward to playing music here. I hope to find someone to help me with piano and someone to teach me guitar. So after the meeting I am serving a snack (apple crisp I think) and then I'll be finished for today.

I may be chilling in the sauna for a bit before I go to bed. It would be very relaxing, so I hope it works out. We have an arrangement (an event where people pay to stay at Brunstad and use the facilities) starting Friday, which means long shifts, so I better relax while I can! I will have pictures soon. I just haven't had time to take them or to post them. Hopefully I will get better at keeping this blog up-to-date. Until next time, Ha det bra!

3 comments:

  1. Aaah, this was great! I love hearing you talk about your experiences there, since I can just picture it! :D The funny thing was imagining you "savaging" the food, laundry detergent and toilet paper! ;) :D (I know, I know - salvaged, but it was a great mental image!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear that you've settled in now! Poor you, sitting outside that morning all by yourself! :( Oh, well, as soon as you get a phone, you need to call me if you get that lonely again:) My number is 41 92 30 79. Hugs, Aina Merethe

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! You girls are so sweet. I definitely will Aina.

    ReplyDelete